Friday, November 02, 2007

Little House on the Prairie

We joked after Conor was born and was sleeping in his bassinet in our bedroom along with our dog and three cats that we were the modern version of Little House on the Prairie's one-room cabin where everyone slept together.

3 1/2 years later, not much has changed. Sure, Conor starts off in his own bed. But sometime between 11:41 pm and 4:23 am he ends up in bed with us. We're used to it and the snuggles are nice.

But lately, we've also turned into Little Outhouse on the Prairie. Since the beginning of this school year, the whole family (although minus the cat and dog) has spent an inordinate amount of time in the bathroom together getting ready for the day. On the one hand, it is efficient. On the other, it's a small bathroom. There are some opportunities for privacy, but certainly fewer than one would want at this stage in one's life. Patches, at least, now understands that certain activities are not for public display. He's one of the few young ones in the house that gets that concept.

In any case, the idea of a bigger house with a bigger bedroom and a bigger bed and a bigger bathroom is appealing. But at some point, all I think that means is that more people will be in there at any given time.

I guess we would only be so lucky.

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Regardless of space, I think some families just end up congregating together. We have a bigger-ish (not big, I'm not being boastful!) home and the kids have their own BIG (here I am being boastful! LOL!) shared bath upstairs...and yet they still crowd our bed, our bath, our space. Little Space Invaders. =)

PS - Your remodeled bath IS lovely! Wow!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking along the same lines the other day when my daughter was lobbying to move. She wants to live closer to downtown. It would end up costing us as much for a two bedroom, one bathroom place as it does for this 3 bedroom two bathroom apartment which actually is only 5 minutes longer by car than the other place would be.

But, oh my, sharing a bathroom?

I laugh. When I was a kid my parents, my brother, my grandmother and I lived in a one bedroom!!, one bathroom apartment that was probably one quarter of the size of where my daughter and I live today. Even later we lived in a two bedroom, one bathroom place that was about half the size of this one. However did we manage? Or is that why I had chronic constipation.....?

....

gk

Anita said...

Gabriella--

You made me laugh out loud!!! :-)