Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy 2008: Year of the Baby

Happy New Year!

I am cooking my collard greens and hoppin' john and ready to eat my way into fortune and good luck for 2008.

We had a very nice time in Omaha at my nephew's wedding. It was also not nearly as cold as I thought it was going to be. Yes, the highs only reached into the 20's, but I had bundled myself up so much with thick sweaters and layers of t-shirts that going outside felt refreshing instead of frigid. It was also so dry that my hair was drying within an hour of washing it. In any case, I have decided that temperature is relative. 42 degrees in Charlotte is not 42 degrees in Rockford, IL which is a boatload colder than 25 degrees in Omaha. This logic is why I'm a psychologist and not a physicist.

In other big news, Dave and I have decided that 2008 is the Year of the Baby. This Christmas marked the two year anniversary of our first miscarriage. And although at one point, I thought I could go on forever trying to get pregnant, actually I cannot. We are going to start with traditional IVF in February and should know pretty soon after whether we will get pg and/or whether there will be frosties available for multiple tries. So we expect that if that route is not successful, we will be moving more rapidly down the adoption path by May or June.

What that means to us is that by December if I'm not giving birth, not pregnant or not moving along adoption, we'll be done. Our family will be complete. That is not the worst thing that could happen. We have a fantastic little trio and I am happy with my family. We may be done already. But we are not done with trying.

Except for trying for next month. A pregnancy next month would mean a October due date and while that sounds wonderful, my maternity benefits would suck. If waited for a November due date, I'd have nearly 9 months off. With an October due date, I'd get about 6 weeks. I understand that is what most women get, and personally I think it sucks. I haven't been trying for 2 1/2 years for this next child to barely see him or her before I go back to work.

So there you go! I need to go tend my collards and peas.

Happy New Year to all of us.

3 comments:

OneTiredEma said...

Happy New Year, Anita et al!

I wish you the very best in your family building endeavors :-) and peace in all things.

Carroll said...

Happy New Year, Anita! We are en-route to a holiday party featuring the traditional sweet Hawaiian/Japanese preserved black beans. Delish! Interesting how various cultures all seem to have some traditional food items indicating good health, good luck, and prosperity for the coming year. Enjoy those collards, and best of all things to you and your good family in the year to come.

Anonymous said...

2008 is the international year of the Potato.

If you don't mind too much, I'd like to make a suggestion: instead of refering to burgeoning abdominal bump as "peanut" please refer to said growth as "spud".

Thank you.

Will you have fries with that?

(where's the little devil icon when I need it? :) ) really, :)

gk