Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A New Christmas Story

Twas the night before the night before Christmas
And all through the house
Not a creature was stirring
Except for the hideous things coming out of Mommy's mouth....

It's been an adventuresome, yet uneventful Christmas around here. Conor picked up a stomach bug that became evident on Friday night. Despite yakking on two pairs of Dave's jeans, it was fortunately a very mild event. For Conor.

The incubation period is apparently 48 hours for a stomach bug. And although Conor only yakked 2 times in one hour, I was blessed with a 6 hour yakking marathon involving hurried trips to the loo every 15 minutes for the first three hours and every 30 minutes for the next three. (I would like to point out that on Christmas Day when my dear friend came over with her adorable 3 day old, we figured out that I had thrown up longer than she was in labor--start to finish)

I certainly don't mind taking one for the team. And indeed this is the second stomach virus I've shared with Conor and Dave hasn't. However, I'd be more than happy to retire my martyr virus status to any takers out there. And again it's much better that I yak for 6 hours and Conor only yaks for one. NONETHELESS, I'd really prefer for Conor's mild experience to be an indication of how mild my illness will also be.

We had a great Christmas altogether. And there was adorableness all around, particularly when Conor spotted Santa's partially eaten cookie. However, the most gift-appreciative creature in this house was Patches. We bought him a couple of toys and a peanut butter treat. The first gift he got to open was just placed in a bag. Once I indicated that this treat was for him, he plunged his head down into the bag and nosed around for about 10 seconds until he gently pulled out the new toy by the edges of its packaging. It was one of the sweetest things I've ever seen. The sweetest thing I've ever seen is towards the end of gift opening when he was starting to unwrap his last present with his teeth in the corner of the room. He has NEVER tried to open a present before, but he knew this one was his, and he was tired of waiting for his turn. It was adorable.

Tomorrow, we're off to sunny warm Omaha for a nephew's wedding over the weekend. What? Omaha is not sunny and warm this time of year? Are you serious?!?! Crap!!! I'd better figure out what the heck I'm going to wear so I'm not freezing my southern ass in the Great Plains of the Midwest.

Happy New Year to you!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy new year! And I'm glad you're feeling better. But where is the Sergio update? I hope he's feeling as well as you!

Piratewench said...

6 hours of throwing up...ugh!!! I wish I could have shared one of my Zofran with you!!!

Anonymous said...

Do you need some Gravol suppositories in your home emergency drug kit, or what?

Oh wow. I bet your muscles hurt. I hope you didn't subluxate any ribs. Sheeesh.....

Happy New Year

gk