Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Weeds and Beats

I agree with Barbie2B's comment yesterday that weeding can be so addictive. As both my neighbor and I headed out of the house last weekend, we agreed that mindless work with instant gratification is a very fun chore indeed.

As for the asparagus, yes, an asparagus bed lasts for about 20 years. You plant it one year. Let it grow untouched the next. And then starting the 3rd year, you have fresh, young, tender asparagus shooting out the ground out at you. I never knew asparagus was this sweet. Also, once the crop has ended, you get pretty asparagus ferns for the rest of the summer which make a nice border around a house or some such thing.

And in more baby relevant news, the fetal heart monitor arrived a day early and OF COURSE, I ripped open the box and lay down flat to hear what I could hear. Which first scared me. I could easily pick up a heartbeat, but it was very slow---only 100 bpm. This is not a good heartbeat of a fetus at this age.

Then I realized it was my own fool heart beat in my stomach. (This was verified by the sample sounds on one of the fetal monitor sites I found).

Still, I couldn't find the baby's. Yes, Ema wrote at exactly the moment that I was starting to search that it is still early to hear a heart beat at 9 weeks 5 days. And even more so, with my tilted uterus, it's going to take longer than it ought to anyway.

HOWEVER, after dinner and with a full bladder and about 20 minutes of searching, I did hear something. I only heard it for a few seconds and I lost it when I shouted to Dave that I had found it. But it wasn't my heartbeat and it wasn't my tummy gurgling. It was a very fast but soft clapping. And I really do believe it was the little peanut inside waving.

I couldn't find it again, but I think it's still too early. But I did hear something and it's hard to make up a sound like that.

((((((sigh)))))))))

3 comments:

OneTiredEma said...

Now I want asparagus for dinner. *grump*

Once again, a "baby-oriented" product pisses me off. Wouldn't it be nice if the company renting the dopplers overestimated when you could hear the heartbeat? Instead of making people freak out? I guess not, because then people wouldn't rent them as early. But grar and boo-hiss. :-( Because nervous expectant mothers really need to add fuel to the fire.

Lainey-Paney said...

I love weeding. It's monotonous, but therapeutic.

barbie2be said...

my doctor had to increase my lexapro dosage because i wasn't getting anything done due to all the weeding.

last week i started weeding the next door neighbors yard. good thing he is my landlord. :)