Thursday, April 05, 2007

Worm Poop

Spring has sprung around here. The trees are turning green. The dogwoods are busting out in white and the azaelas are countering with their gorgeous pink. Tulips are giving their last hurrah and a whole variety of hostas, spring flowers and ground covers are echoing their own versions of green, pink and white.

And then we have the worm poop.

The canker worms are HORRIBLE this year despite all the tree banding we did last fall. I've found some on my newspaper, in my hair, on the washing machine and even making webs out the front door. I don't know if it's the warm weather or our mini-drought, but walking outside is crunchy. Shoes are not optional. We could actually hear the worm poop dropping out of the trees on Monday as the canker worms (inch worms really) chewed through all the new spring foliage. So far, our trees are not looking too damaged, but they have got to be everywhere. Hopefully, tonights cold weather will freeze those evil green bugs and show them who is really the boss of tree life. (I have no idea what that means: mother nature? Late spring frosts? Me as I climb the trees and pinch every last one of them to death with my woolen gloves???)

If you don't live in an area infested with canker worms, you have have no idea just how much worm poop can be a natural and substantial part of your life. Really. Worm poop. That is just bizarre.

3 comments:

Evelin said...

I thought worm poop was a good thing?

Anita said...

Earthworm poop is good.

Canker worm poop is constipated! ;-)

Lainey-Paney said...

What the hell is a canker worm?

I'm going to have to google that one...