Monday, December 03, 2007

Miss Me???

It was hard not to post on Saturday to say "YIPPEE!! I have the night off and I don't have to post!!"

But then that would have defeated the whole purpose, eh?

So, instead, I will talk about the fact that *I* made *bread* this weekend. And when I say *I*, I mean me solo without a bread machine and when I say *bread*, I mean a breadish substance that was actually edible. (Biscuits=hockey pucks around here)

I even attempted this feat due to the Observer's claim (via the NY Times) that this is the easiest bread in the world to make. Indeed, it was so easy, Conor could have made it.

3 cups of water at 100 F degrees
1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt

Mix that together

Add 6 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour

Mix until there are no dry spots in the flour

Let sit covered with a cloth for at least 2 hours and up to 5

Cut off one-fourth of the dough (grapefruit sized)

Spread some flour on it so you can pick it up and it won't get stuck to your fingers (figured that out on the second loaf)

Stretch it and shape it into an oval

Let sit for 40 minutes and then put it in a greased loaf pan.

Cook for 30 minutes in a 450 degree oven (let the oven heat for 5 minutes at 450)

Cool completely and you have bread.

That's it!

It is the best bread I've ever made by hand. It's the only edible bread I've made my entire life!! I am not a baker, but I baked bread. I'm pretty psyched. I might even ask Santa for the book which apparently has several of these sorts of bread recipes.

Seriously. With something that easy, how can you NOT bake your own bread?

4 comments:

nancy said...

Yeah you! Let me tell ya, bread is easy. Yeast breads especially are very forgiving. If you want more recipes I have tons for you. I highly suggest getting some starter because anything you make with starter tastes better and has a better crust. (I have an EASY recipe for starter and all you need are organic grapes, flour and water.

Making the first loaf is the hardest part, and since you have already done that, with success, you can go on and on and on.

Also, in most breads you can substitute a cup of white flour for a cup of oatmeal. It adds great texture and nutrition.

OK, I'm even starting to bore myself now. Have fun baking!

Karen said...

Well hey! There you go then!

Anonymous said...

There are days when I give a small cheer to being gluten intolerant...... I don't have to feel inadequate because I am incapable of massaging dough sufficiently to make it nice and stretchy.

....sigh....

Cheers!

gk

Victoria said...

I cannot make bread. I hope we can still be friends. =)

I ADORE bread. I could live on bread and bread alone.

But I can't make it. Darn!