Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Pelvic Rest

I have been spotting about once a day for the last week or so.  It's been brown, so I really haven't been that worried.  Also, I found this site which argues that spotting is quite common with IVF treatments because the estrogen and progesterone have made one's lining quite fluffy. It's, therefore, more likely to spot a bit.

Then yesterday morning, we went from spotting to bleeding.  It was a qualitatively different event.  I freaked out a lot and called my doctor, who then scheduled an ultrasound for yesterday afternoon. 

There is no bad news.  The good news is that the babies have grown (though not as much as I'd like) and their heartrates are perfect.  They also found a subchorionic bleed next to baby B. It was very small, but could explain why there was bleeding.  I wish it wasn't there and I can't understand why I have a clot when I'm on lovenox and baby aspirin.  It makes me more cautious than ever about going off the lovenox any time soon.

So now I'm on "pelvic rest."  I'm not supposed to lift anything heavy or to stand while I'm at work.  I contacted the CA clinic who said that 70% of their IVF patients have some bleeding in early pg (very much like the link above suggests).  In addition, the "vast majority" go on to deliver healthy babies.  They, however, hinted that they would have recommended full bedrest.

I do  think everything is going to be ok.  The babies look great.  I really think it's going to turn out ok. It just wasn't a lot of fun yesterday.  

4 comments:

Notes and letters to myself.... said...

I was a champion bleeder -- so welcome to the club. I bled through week 25, from a subchorionic bleed as well. I had four large blood clots. My child will be 8 this month:)

While bleeding is not normal in pregnancy it is common, especially with multiples.

So make sure you are drinking 96 ounces of water a day -- keeps your uterus perfused the bleeding down, and water is your bodies delivery system of nutrients to your babies:)

When you say your babies have not grown as much as you'd like -- have they grown as much as your care provider would like? What were there heart rates?

Hang in :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I really feel like it will be ok.

-E

Kim said...

Oh, Anita, take care of yourself and those babies! I'll be praying for you all!

Sophie said...

I had a week of unexplained bleeding and cramping, just like a cycle. I freaked out and didn't believe the doctors when they said they thought all was still fine. We mourned the loss for a week before finding out I was still pregnant.

It is SO nerve wracking -- but also very common. The girls sleeping in the next room put me in the "vast majority", thankfully.

They didn't put me on complete bedrest either, and all was well.

Remember when you lay down, blood can pool, and pooled blood can clot. I freaked out when it happened to me.

Yay for your positive attitude!