Monday, April 15, 2019

Cycle of Life

Last week, I was providing academic insight for an article coming out on "mommy blogging."  I'll post the link when it comes out if I and the actual subject of the story do not look like assholes.  You never know sometimes, and I felt like this reporter had an agenda, more than I'm used to seeing.

Anyhoo, I have been reflecting on blogging and motherhood of late.  I have dropped off in my blogging, as reminded by a dear friend.  It's not like there is not a lot going on in my life as a wife and working mother of three children.  It's just that I think there's a lifecycle of parenting and I and my need to process everything has changed.

First, those early years of getting pg, being pg, and trying to keep my sanity and my children healthy have passed.  Those early years when everything is new and fraught have developed into years where everything is tweener and teenaged and there's more interacting with the actual humans I gave birth to in order to get it right instead of reaching out to other Mamas to make sure what is happening sounds normal.

Second, I am loving my career right now. I love my research (although, as the refrain goes, I should be writing a research paper right now). And I also have a lot more responsibilities, meetings, and less free time. Although, people, here is what I realized last week: I feel guilty if I am awake and not doing work. Cooking, mom-ing, doing chores, personal hygiene all feel like hobbies. My brain is set that awake means I need work. There is something wrong with that and it's not sustainable.

So those are the excuses.  What are the updates?

Conor will start high school in the fall. YIKES! We are going to a diverse, public IB high school that we love. He is a very good dancer and has taken up football. (Don't @ me; we are taking precautions.) He is self-driven at school and is actually starting to clean up his room on his own. We are negotiating the boundaries of his independence and our needs to ensure his safety.  He also cleans out the dishwasher, which makes him my favorite child.

Bridget is really progressing with her dyslexia.  It's amazing to see her confidence and pride in herself by reading more challenging material. Is your young child good at math but can't quite seem to get reading? He or she may be one of the 15 to 20% of people who learn to read differently than others. There are too many stories of my university students who thought they were stupid because they could not read, only to find out as adults they have dyslexia and are very, very smart.  It breaks my heart.  Bridget continues to train to be a lawyer first and a superior court judge second. It is clear that her early skills at telling people what they are doing wrong and how to do it better have continued to develop.  She actually talks to me and tells me things that have happened throughout the day unlike other members of the household, which makes her my favorite child.

Kit has turned into a renaissance boy.  He is doing very well at school, is excellent in math, loves reading challenging books, is a good dancer and piano player, and has created and sold paintings, although I have the best one and you cannot get that one from me. He has an innate sense of justice in this world and works hard to help the underdog.  His heart is bigger than most people's, so his emotions run deep. This means he loves hard and gets hurt badly, which makes him my favorite child.

The dingo loves me more than any other creature on this earth.  If I am home, Jules has her eyes on me.  I take a shower? She guards the shower door. I go downstairs, she goes with me. I go upstairs, here she comes! I work on my desk and she lies on the bed with her head facing me.  I've never experienced this sort of love/obsession before. It's nice and sort of weird to always turn around and see eyeballs on me. 

So things move along, right?  I would like to talk about life and the mother thing a bit more.  I've got to get out the mindset that every waking moment should be work.  That seems a particularly American issue and I don't want to end my life never having finished knitting those cute fingerless mittens that are supposed to be a weekend project. 

Right?

Right. 

Now off to my semi-daily hobby of taking a shower and getting dressed. If you see me today, at least you'll know I'm clean. Ish. 

1 comment:

JTC said...

For the balance of my career I have used you as the shining example of an "Intuitive Personality." There won't be enough hours for us to talk when I get there this summer. Better make it just the two of us, someplace that won't kick us out. Ok, my big picture friend, take breath and connect the dots. This is hard, but you've got it!