Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Cucumber Soup (or Dip)



I have adapted the original recipe (and the picture) from the NY Times which you can see here.  Of course, it takes up 1 (or 2) of your free NY Times articles per month, so I'll tell you what I did.

3 or 4 cucumbers
2 cups yogurt
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp chopped mint (or so)
Olive Oil

Peel the cucumbers
Seed the cucumbers (or not).
Salt them (or not). And let sit for 30 minutes, then rinse them. Salting them makes them less watery.
Smush the garlic up a bit
Put it all in a blender or food processor and let 'er rip until it's as smooth as you want.

The recipe calls for you to salt/grate the cukes and then mix everything else separately and then mix all together.

I have enough cucumbers that I can try a couple of different ways until we get it right.

As for freezing, we're going to put them in glass mason jars (leaving 1" or so room) and freeze them.  To thaw, we'll leave in the fridge overnight.  I'm sure it will separate a bit, but a quick stir and "fresh" cucumber soup!!

I've made this a couple of different times, a couple of different ways.  It's really good, easy, and healthy!!

No comments: